Refreshing, easy summer salad adapted from Todd English, The Figs Table cookbook. Great combination of salty and sweet.
- 4 cups seeded watermelon chunks
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced (about 2 cups) (use a Japanese mandolin or regular kitchen knife)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 bunch green onions, green part only, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 ½ cups crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Put the watermelon, fennel, olives, red onion, green onion, and feta in a large bowl. Add lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and toss well. Chop basil and add immediately before serving (to prevent browning). Divide among salad plates and serve immediately.